By Rory McTurk
- Comprises 29 chapters written via top students within the field
- Reflects present debates between previous Norse-Icelandic scholars
- Pays realization to formerly missed parts of analysis, equivalent to the sagas of Icelandic bishops and the fable sagas
- Looks on the methods outdated Norse-Icelandic literature is utilized by sleek writers, artists and movie administrators, either inside of and outdoors Scandinavia
- Sets previous Norse-Icelandic language and literature in its wider cultural context
Read or Download A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
The Making of Chaucer's English undertakes a considerable reappraisal of where Chaucer's English occupies within the background of the English language and the language of English literature. It assaults the common presumption that Chaucer invented literary English and argues as an alternative that Chaucer's English is usually conventional.
This can be the 1st quantity of a brand new prose translation of Dante's epic - the 1st in twenty-five years. Robert Durling's translation brings a brand new energy and accuracy to the rendering of Dante's awesome imaginative and prescient of Hell, with its terror, pathos, and sardonic humour, and its penetrating analyses of the psychology of sin and the ills that plague society.
This is often the 1st normal creation to Pliny's Letters released in any language, combining shut readings with broader context and adopting a clean and leading edge method of studying the letters as an artistically dependent assortment. bankruptcy 1 strains Pliny's autobiographical narrative during the Letters; bankruptcy 2 undertakes specified examine of e-book 6 as an inventive entity; whereas bankruptcy three units Pliny's letters inside of a Roman epistolographical culture ruled by way of Cicero and Seneca.
This wealthy choice of essays by means of a global crew of students explores commentaries in lots of varied languages on old Latin and Greek texts. The commentaries mentioned variety from the traditional international to the 20th century. jointly, the chapters give a contribution to the discussion among bright and constructing fields of research: the background of scholarship and the background of the e-book.
- Vernacular and Latin Literary Discourses of the Muslim Other in Medieval Germany (The New Middle Ages)
- Prudentius, Spain, and Late Antique Christianity: Poetry, Visual Culture, and the Cult of Martyrs
- Through the Daemon's Gate: Kepler's Somnium, Medieval Dream Narratives, and the Polysemy of Allegorical Motifs (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- Alliterative Revivals (The Middle Ages Series)
Additional resources for A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Rory McTurk