By Lorna Hardwick,Christopher Stray
- Provides a accomplished advent and evaluation of classical reception - the translation of classical artwork, tradition, and inspiration in later centuries, and the quickest becoming region in classics
- Brings jointly 34 essays by means of a global team of members keen on old and smooth reception options and practices
- Combines shut readings of key receptions with wider contextualization and discussion
- Explores the impression of Greek and Roman tradition around the globe, together with an important new components in Arabic literature, South African drama, the historical past of images, and modern ethics
Read Online or Download A Companion to Classical Receptions (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
The Making of Chaucer's English undertakes a considerable reappraisal of where Chaucer's English occupies within the background of the English language and the language of English literature. It assaults the frequent presumption that Chaucer invented literary English and argues as a substitute that Chaucer's English is mostly conventional.
This can be the 1st quantity of a brand new prose translation of Dante's epic - the 1st in twenty-five years. Robert Durling's translation brings a brand new strength and accuracy to the rendering of Dante's remarkable imaginative and prescient of Hell, with its terror, pathos, and sardonic humour, and its penetrating analyses of the psychology of sin and the ills that plague society.
This is often the 1st common creation to Pliny's Letters released in any language, combining shut readings with broader context and adopting a clean and cutting edge method of analyzing the letters as an artistically based assortment. bankruptcy 1 strains Pliny's autobiographical narrative through the Letters; bankruptcy 2 undertakes unique examine of booklet 6 as a creative entity; whereas bankruptcy three units Pliny's letters inside of a Roman epistolographical culture ruled through Cicero and Seneca.
This wealthy choice of essays by means of a global staff of students explores commentaries in lots of diverse languages on historic Latin and Greek texts. The commentaries mentioned variety from the traditional global to the 20th century. jointly, the chapters give a contribution to the discussion among brilliant and constructing fields of analysis: the historical past of scholarship and the historical past of the booklet.
- Revivals: Of Antigone
- Greek Theatre Performance: An Introduction
- Authoring the Past: History, Autobiography, and Politics in Medieval Catalonia
- Inside Old English: Essays in Honour of Bruce Mitchell
- History & Literature Of Christ (History of Civilization)
- Language and Rhythm in Plautus: Synchronic and Diachronic Studies (Sozomena)
Additional info for A Companion to Classical Receptions (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Classical Receptions (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Lorna Hardwick,Christopher Stray